Its that time of year: Shopping, parties, dinners, and traveling to see family & friends. Unfortunately, it also means a lot of opportunity for predators.
So here's 10 ways you can keep you and your family safe this holiday season:)
1) Walk confidently and with purpose. Observe those around you. Assertive body language can help keep you out of the target pool.
2) Keep your head up. This is NOT the time to be on the phone texting, talking, checking off lists, or updating your status on social media. Distraction makes for easier targets.
3) Be wary of anyone approaching you in parking lots or any area slightly away from the bulk of the crowds.
4) Shop with friends if possible. There's safety in numbers.
5) Don't leave valuables (purses, tablets, wallets, gifts,etc) visible in the car while you are shopping. If you have to leave them, hide them before getting to the parking lot.
6) Park in well lit, high traffic areas. Avoid parking near anything that might limit visibility.
7) Carry only the credit cards and ID that you need. Avoid carrying large amounts of cash.
8) Keep doors locked and windows up locked if you are sitting in your car waiting to pick someone up. (Also, still not a good time to be distracted by your phone. It can wait...go back to #2)
9) Do not post your travel plans on social media.
10) As always – be sure and trust your instincts. If you see or feel anything suspicious, there is a reason to pay attention to those feelings. Don't be embarrassed to go back inside and ask someone to escort you to your car or to be loud (yell, scream, honk your horn) and draw attention to your situation.
Posted on Wed, December 16, 2015
by Jessi Cargill filed under