Its that time of year: Shopping, parties, dinners, and traveling to see family & friends. Unfortunately, it also means a lot of opportunity for predators.
here's 10 ways you can keep you and your family safe this holiday
1) Walk confidently and with purpose. Observe those
around you. Assertive body language can help keep you out of the target
2) Keep your head up. This
is NOT the time to be on the phone texting, talking, checking off lists,
or updating your status on social media. Distraction makes for easier
3) Be wary of anyone approaching you in parking lots or any area slightly away from the bulk of the crowds.
4) Shop with friends if possible. There's safety in numbers.
5) Don't leave valuables (purses, tablets, wallets, gifts,etc) visible
in the car while you are shopping. If you have to leave them, hide them
before getting to the parking lot.
6) Park in well lit, high traffic areas. Avoid parking near anything that might limit visibility.
7) Carry only the credit cards and ID that you need. Avoid carrying large amounts of cash.
8) Keep doors locked and windows up locked if you are sitting in your
car waiting to pick someone up. (Also, still not a good time to be
distracted by your phone. It can wait...go back to #2)
9) Do not post your travel plans on social media.
10) As always – be sure and trust your instincts. If you see or feel
anything suspicious, there is a reason to pay attention to those
feelings. Don't be embarrassed to go back inside and ask someone to
escort you to your car or to be loud (yell, scream, honk your horn)and
draw attention to your situation.
Posted on Wed, December 16, 2015
by Jessi Cargill filed under